At the end of 2021, a credentialing system was introduced in Australia for dieticians and mental health professionals who work with clients with eating disorders, which are complex illnesses. The credential is abbreviated as CEDC. A professional with the CEDC credential has the skills, knowledge and experience to work with people with eating disorders, and they are required to do ongoing training and have supervision from another experienced and credentialed clinician each year. This is a really important step forward in Australia, and means that clients and referrers can feel confident that the clinician has the skills to work in this complex and challenging area. 

We use a range of evidence –based eating disorder therapies, including: cognitive behavioural therapy for eating disorders (CBT-E) for adults Supportive Specialist Clinical Management (SSCM) for adults with eating disorders Family Based Treatment (FBT), previously called Maudsley family therapy, for teens with eating disorders.

No, you don’t need a referral from your doctor, however you will only be able to claim a rebate from Medicare if your doctor gives you a specific referral, called a mental health care plan or an eating disorder treatment plan. It is entirely up to you whether you wish to use this system. 

Yes we offer telehealth consults via Zoom. To claim a Medicare rebate for these sessions you must have a care plan referral from your GP. 

Clinical Psychology fees and rebates from 1st July 2023

We charge two different fees: session fees and report fees.

The session fee is $280 for individuals or families, $300 for after-hours appointments (Tuesday and Thursday at 5.45pm) and $300 for emergency sessions on Monday and Friday at 3pm.

The fee for reports to GPs and other referrers is $100 per report. These reports are a Medicare requirement for all Medicare referrals. Medicare do not provide a rebate for reports even though they are a Medicare requirement.

The Medicare rebate is currently $131.55 per session. You will be entitled to either 10 session rebates per calendar year with a mental health care plan referral, or 40 session rebates per 12 months with an eating disorder treatment plan referral.

Private health rebates for clinical psychology vary, so check with your fund. The health fund code will be I04 for an initial consult and S04 for ongoing consults for adults, or F24 for family therapy for young people.

If your child has an eating disorder, you need to insist that they attend. It is unlikely that they will want to attend, as they will probably not think that they need help. However, it is essential that your family and child receives the help they need to recover from an eating disorder, so you will need to be more determined to get them here. Do whatever it takes and make it non-negotiable. 

This is a common concern for many people. Laura has been a psychologist for over 20 years, and her goal is to work collaboratively with you to help you achieve the best possible outcome, which may also include referring you to a different service if needed. Isn’t psychological therapy just talking? Talking with a psychologist is not the same as talking with a friend. The role of psychological therapy is to give you an opportunity to think deeply about your concerns, to learn specific strategies to better manage your situation, and / or to learn to see your situation from a new, more helpful perspective. Usually you will be taught skills to practice between sessions, so that you begin to make changes in your life outside of the sessions. 

A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has undertaken further specialist training in diagnosis and management of mental health disorders. Psychiatrists have specialist knowledge in prescribing medication for people with long term or complex mental health issues, or for people who have complex medical conditions. Your GP may suggest that you consult a Psychiatrist if you have had difficulty finding a medication which works for you with minimal side effects, or which is safe to use with other medications you need to take. If you have an eating disorder treatment plan it is a Medicare requirement that you are reviewed by a psychiatrist before the 20th session in order to access further sessions. So, a Clinical Psychologist will help you develop the extra skills and strategies you need to manage your psychological health, the Psychiatrist can assist with medication support, or with approving further treatment from your eating disorder treatment plan. 

The term ‘Psychologist’ is a registered profession in Australia, which means that people wishing to use that title must be registered with the Psychologists Board of Australia (PsyBA). A Registered Psychologist must complete a minimum of 4 years of university study and 2 years of internship (supervised training). Clinical Psychologists have a minimum of 8 years of training: 6 years of university training to Masters level, then a further 2 years of registrar training while working with clients. To maintain their registration, psychologists are required to work according to strict professional and ethical guidelines, and to participate in regular supervision and training (currently 30 hours per year). This means that psychologists are mental health specialists. The terms ‘counsellor’, ‘therapist’ and psychotherapist’ are not registered professions in Australia, which unfortunately means that anyone can use these titles, even if they have no training.